Friday, February 21, 2014

Have You Tried Chia?

I'm not a cereal-for-breakfast kind of girl.  It keeps me full for about 5 minutes.  No, really.  Yet, I don't like to cook hot breakfast every day so I'm always looking for new make-ahead breakfast recipes.

Last night, I put together Giada's Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding.  I've been wanting to try Chia - I've had it in Kombucha but that's all.  It's available in bulk at the co-op where I shop so it's easy to buy just a little to try.
















This is super easy to put together and I really enjoyed it!  I served mine with blueberries since it's what I had on hand.  I drizzled some maple syrup on the top rather than mixing it in before serving.  I offered it to both kids and the picky one not only declared she wanted to try it but after she ate her serving, she asked for more!  Score!

Chia Seed Pudding
Adapted slightly from Food Network Magazine 
Serves 4

1 cup vanilla coconut milk (almond would work, too)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (preferably grade B), plus 4 teaspoons for serving
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 pint fruit (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)

In a medium bowl, whisk the coconut milk, yogurt, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, the vanilla and 1/8 teaspoon salt until blended. Whisk in the chia seeds and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature. After 30 minutes, stir to distribute the seeds if they have settled. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, spoon cold pudding into 4 bowls or cups.  Top with fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup and serve.  Enjoy!

Have you tried chia?


No comments:

Post a Comment